CTBA in the news
CTBA’s policy analysis has shown up in news reports across Illinois in recent weeks. Here’s a rundown:
- Crains Chicago Business turns to CTBA Executive Director Ralph Martire for insight into the record of Chicago’s Treasurer (and possible future mayoral candidate) Kurt Summers.
- Chicago Magazine quotes CTBA on Illinois’ proposed “lockbox amendment” to limit budget flexibility on transportation funds.
- More coverage of the proposed amendment in the Journal-Gazette and Times-Courier.
- The Kankakee Valley Daily Journal uses CTBA analysis of the state budget to paint a picture of Illinois’ structural deficit, even in the face of huge service cuts.
- The Kane County Chronicle covers Ralph Martire’s speech in Batavia on the need for a better school funding formula with the League of Women Voters.
- The Daily Herald talked to CTBA about how Illinois’ tax exemptions are a big part of its problem bringing in enough revenue to cover its expenses.
- The Chicago Reporter quotes CTBA’s Bobby Otter on the new budget for the Chicago Public Schools — and why a balanced budget this year doesn’t mean things are looking good after that.
- And North Cook News cites this very blog in reporting that Illinois’ real deficit for the coming year is much worse than state officials are claiming.